Teacher Recruitment Scholarship
The 2024 Teacher recruitment scholarship is due March 31
What is the Teacher Recruitment Scholarship (TRS)?
The purpose of the Teacher Recruitment Scholarship is to increase the number of teachers in Wasatch Front schools whose backgrounds could best support underrepresented students in the K-12 school system. This scholarship supports students from a broad range of backgrounds to become teachers and return to their communities as educational leaders and mentors for future generations.
Who can apply for this scholarship?
High school seniors graduating from a Salt Lake City School District high school and meet the following criteria:
- Want to pursue a career in teaching
- Have a background that would allow them to best support underrepresented students in K-12 schools
- Are Utah residents and citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Need financial assistance to attend college
- Have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher
How does the TRS program work?
TRS Scholars start their postsecondary education at Salt Lake Community College and receive appropriate support. Upon completion of the associate's degree, TRS scholars transfer to the University of Utah to earn a bachelor's degree in education and licensure.
What does this scholarship cover?
- Up to $650 per semester, provided by the Salt Lake Education Foundation, to cover fees, books, and supplies
- Approximately $3,500 per year in tuition waivers from Salt Lake Community College for a maximum of 2 years
- Pending available funding, GPA requirements and academic coursework toward licensure, qualified individuals will be eligible for up to $3,000 per year for a maximum of 2 years at the University of Utah College of Education
How do you apply?
Students interested in the TRS will need to apply via Salt Lake Community College. Click here for application materials.
For any questions and additional support, please contact the Salt Lake City School District TRS representative: Kellie May | 801.578.8215 | firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information download the TRS Information Brochure